The Daviess County Soil & Water Conservation District was formed in 1941 to provide information about soil, water and related natural resource conservation; identify and prioritize local soil and water resource concerns; and connect land users to sources of educational, technical and financial assistance to implement conservation practices and technologies.

 Office InformationOur office 250 x 188

Location: 2526 East National Highway, Washington IN 47501

 Phone: 812-254-4780,ext.3  Email:

 Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Closed weekends and holidays 


Our Mission:

To provide educational, technical and financial assistance to all Daviess County residents in order to maintain a clean and wholesome environment in which to work and live.

By visiting and using the Daviess County Soil & Water Conservation District website, you are subject to, and understand the terms of our Privacy Policy.

Washington Household Hazardous Waste Facility

304 E. Oak Street, Washington IN 47501

Hours: Wednesday and Thursday, 7:00am - 3:00pm

You may also call 812-254-2792 to schedule an alternate drop-off time.

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Many common household products may contain ingredients that are hazardous to your family's health and the environment - ingredients that are corrosive, toxic, flammable or reactive. Products with these ingredients require special disposal methods. Check the label for instructions! Some common household hazardous products include: oven cleaner, drain cleaner, metal polish, lawn & garden chemicals, antifreeze, motor oil & other automotive fluids, oil-based paints & stains, paint thinner, and items that contain mercury (such as fluorescent light bulbs, old thermometers, thermostats and some electrical switches).

Printable Recycling Guide


A list of resources and information for Daviess County residents. Please choose from the drop down menu.

Washington Recycling Center

2200 Memorial Avenue, Washington IN 47501

Phone: 812-254-4564

Hours: Monday, 7:00am - 3:30pm; Tuesday-Friday, 9:00am - 5:30pm; Saturday, 7:30am - 4:00pm

The center accepts:

  • PETE or PET plastics - (#1) clear plastic beverage bottles
  • HDPE plastics - (#2) milk jugs, laundry detergent bottles
  • Plastic lids from beverage bottles, milk jugs, detergent bottles and food container lids (such as margarine, whipped topping, cottage cheese, etc.) Please remove lids from containers and place in designated bin!
  • Aluminum beverage cans ONLY - RINSE OUT!
  • Steel (tin) food/soup cans & lids, aluminum foil, pet food cans. RINSE CANS OUT!
  • Newspaper and slick paper inserts (place in the semi trailer)
  • Office paper - copy paper, envelopes, junk mail. Bag shredded paper separately. NO construction paper or shiny paper!
  • Magazines, shiny paper & mailers, catalogs, phone books - place in correct containers.
  • Hard-back and paperback books
  • Cardboard - corrugated cardboard ONLY!  NO greasy pizza boxes or food waste items!
  • Household batteries
  • Aerosol cans
  • Fluorescent light bulbs
  • Used motor oil and antifreeze - separate! (Place in the small shed on the west side of the building) 

We CAN NOT recycle Styrofoam, glass, plastics #3-7, plastic bags or any plastic packing materials.

Printable Recycling Guide



There are several locations in Daviess County that accept items for recycling. Each site has specific criteria for what items are accepted - please choose a location from the drop-down menu for site-specific information.

Upcoming Events

Rain Barrel Sale 

The Daviess County SWCD and the City of Washington's Stormwater Department are offering 50-gallon rain barrels for sale. Barrels are $45.00 + IN sales tax for Daviess County residents, the price for residents of other counties is $65.00 + IN sales tax.  Contact the SWCD if you are interested in purchasing a rain barrel, or print out the order form and mail it with your payment.

Rain Barrel order form

Client Gateway

Farmers, ranchers and private forest landowners can now do business with USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) through an online portal. With the launch of the Conservation Client Gateway, producers will have the ability to work with conservation planners online to access Farm Bill programs, request assistance, and track payments for their conservation activities. The Conservation Client Gateway is secure and is entirely voluntary, giving producers a choice between conducting business online or traveling to the USDA Service Center. To learn more, visit:

Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Natural Resources...

...But didn't know who to ask! Whether you have owned your land for a lifetime, or are a new Indiana landowner, you may have questions when it comes to land use and conservation. This is a quick guide for who to call and where to look when you have questions about natural resources and conservation on your land in Indiana.

Indiana Conservation Answer Guide



NACD white bg blue C resized